when and how to move chicks in with hens??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by l'oeuf, Apr 25, 2009.

1. l'oeuf

l'oeuf New Egg

Dec 30, 2008
    Lakewood, CO
    EVENTUALLY, we will be moving our chicks in with our hens, but I want to make sure we don't do so too early, and that we do it the right way. Should we wait until they're 20-22 weeks old? If we can move them in before, how have people dealt with separating the two different feeds? Thanks!

2. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    same problem here (with my aunts chicks)

3. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    okay here is what we did
    we put our 5 week olds out in the coop yesterday because the temperatures are high enough and they are feathered enough to be okay out there. check out the 3rd picture down in the first post, at how I have the chicks in the coop but not accessible to the hens that i have out there. they have food and water and lots of room to run and practice flying. my suggestion is to section part of the coop off for them and put them out there a few hours a day for a week (we also did this so they would get used to being out there) without the older ones inside with them. we put the hens out in the run with food and water. one by one we let them come in and check out the little ones, and yes they will peck at them if the chicks get too curious or too close. but it's normal, just don't let it go so far as to draw blood. this was hard for me to watch because they are my little babies. anyways, we put them out last night and put a lamp out there for a little warmth but I really don't think they are going to need it tonight because it's still 65 degrees out side, and everything I read says as long as it's 50 degrees or more and they are feathered out, then they'll be fine. hope this helps or gives you an idea of what you can do.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=169950

4. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I put up a tempory fence and sectioned off a part of the run. Had the newbies in there for a couple of weeks. I took them in at night, but during the day they spent it in the run with food and water and a dog house for shelter if needed. That way, the older hens and the newbies can get use to each other without bloodshed. Then I let them in together and watched closely. Yes, there may be some pecking, but usually the young ones are faster and can get away from them. When it's time to roost, the newbies are gonna freak out, and they are gonna have to work themselves into the flock. I actually had a separate roost for the newbies for awhile so they can get use to the whole ordeal. A sawhorse works great!

5. l'oeuf

l'oeuf New Egg

Dec 30, 2008
    Lakewood, CO
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for the great suggestions. I think I will set up a temporary run next to the hens' run, and gradually introduce them to each other as suggested (once they're old enough, of course!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by