1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When and how to reduce lighting?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunflour, Mar 21, 2013.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have 6 baby chicks, now 10 days old. Brooder is in a basement garage which has no natural lighting. I have been leaving all overhead garage lights on as well as the brooder heat lamp 24 hours. Have read I should acclimate them to darkness in case of power outage and to wean them to normal daylight hours. But if lights are out, it is totally dark.

?? Is it necessary to start interrupting their ambient light, and if so, how and when should this be done.??

?? My brooder heat lamp is a clear bulb, wouldn't I need to use an infra red one to do this?? I have them, but books mention "careful that you don't cook the chicks with IR lights"...so I was afraid to use them.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They would be just fine without the overhead garage lights on. They don't care. As long as they are warm and have their brooder lamp, they could care less about the "outside world" at this point.

I really, really like the red bulbs. It cuts down on a lot of bad things. But it you only have white, that's what you've got. As far as "cooking" the chicks, that only happens when the brooder is too confining and they've no place to go away from the heat. Chicks are very, very good at self regulating their body temps if you provide a hot spot and cooler areas as well. They move accordingly.

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thank you for the info, but one more dumb question. If I change to the red lights, do they need additional room lighting ?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Nope

They just don't care. They honestly don't know a world exists outside of their brooder at this point.
    LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by