When and how to split a group?

Tomandalaina

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2020
I currently have 12 keets around 7 weeks old. I planned to split the group and give 6 to my aunt. She currently has 3 grown, but does not lock them up at night. (They typically roost in her horse barn.) I’m curious when I should split the group? I want to make sure they’re old enough to be a little self sufficient outside, but I also don’t want to wait too long and then have everyone calling for their mates after I split them.
What’s a good age to do this? I haven’t noticed any of them splitting into groups yet. They all still stay in one big group in the coop. I have not let any of them out yet.

I currently have 12 keets around 7 weeks old. I planned to split the group and give 6 to my aunt. She currently has 3 grown, but does not lock them up at night. (They typically roost in her horse barn.) I’m curious when I should split the group? I want to make sure they’re old enough to be a little self sufficient outside, but I also don’t want to wait too long and then have everyone calling for their mates after I split them.
What’s a good age to do this? I haven’t noticed any of them splitting into groups yet. They all still stay in one big group in the coop. I have not let any of them out yet.
You can separate them at any age. It all depends on when your aunt is ready for them. The younger they are the better they will adapt to her place but she will have to do a proper lock in for long enough to get them to understand that it is now home. It will also require time for her guineas to accept them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom