When and how to transfer chicks outside in the winter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eggcellent, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Songster

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    OK so I got waaaaay too carried away with the incubators during winter here in Michigan. Now I am wondering... How do I transfer these chickens outside? They have been in my basement (about 60 degrees) the whole time, but cleaning the brooders daily to keep the smell down is getting real old lol... I have some of them that are 13 weeks old down there and I think they are probably ready to start braving some winter weather. What exactly do I need to do to make the transfer from 60 degrees to potentially single digits? The older ones have not been under a heat lamp for like 2 months. I am thinking about putting a brooder in the garage with a heat lamp for a few weeks and then transferring them to the coop after that. Anyone have advice or experience with this?

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I transferred mine to the coop with 2 heat lamps. But, I put 2 large wooden boxes together and cut another entry and put them a portable run, so that the others could see them, but could not get to them.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I put mine out at 6 weeks with a heat lamp. But my winter's aren't as harsh as yours.

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I would build a wooden Brooder Box place in the Garage and gradually lessen the heat provided until they are not using the heat lamp. Before transferring to the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by