1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when and if to medicat young chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kat1117, Aug 31, 2014.

1. kat1117

kat1117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    I have 4 chicks hatched by hen in our flock. There are so many different opinions on using medicated chick feed or not. My question is do you use medicated feed even if they aren't sick and at what age do you worm them and with what worm medicine? Any input would be helpful I haven't used the medicated feed.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Medicated feed does not treat illness. It helps them build immunity to a common but serious illness, coccidiosis, by inhibiting thiamine uptake in the cocci that are in the bird. It acts on any cocci present, not on the chicken.

I use medicated feed and worm annually (starting at one year) with Valbazen.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You've received some good advice on medicated feed for Coccidiosis.

Keep in mind that medicated feed only gives a chicken a chance to build resistance to Coccidiosis. If their are a large number of Coccidiosis protozoa in the soil or if conditions aren't kept clean enough (dirty water, etc), a chicken can still get Coccidiosis. Medicated feed is a preventative measure that doesn't always work. That's why its always good to have Corid on hand to treat Coccidiosis just in case your birds get it anyways.

I worm my birds for the first time at around 6-8 months. It it not usually necessary to deworm sooner, as birds haven't had a lot of time to develop a worm infestation. I deworm once or twice a year after that.

Probably the two best dewormers are Valbazen(albendazole) and Safeguard for goats (fenbendazole). Both cover most or all worms (Safeguard doesn't get tapeworms, unless it is at a high dose). You can buy these two dewormers at Tractor Supply or online. One place to get both dewormers is at Jeffers Pet Supply: http://www.jefferspet.com/.

Don't get Wazine(piperazine)- it only kills roundworms. Though roundworms are the most common chicken worm, there are other worms that Wazine will miss.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by