when and normal...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spoolin, Mar 5, 2009.

1. spoolin

spoolin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    i had a rooster this morning until my neighbor got mad and told us to get rid of it.... so my dad listened to him and when i got home, my dad had given the rooster away:mad: [​IMG] [​IMG]!!!! but was it normal for the rooster to sing in the morning...like 2-4 a.m. and aaaaaall the day long? because my rooster was singing basically 24/7. so is it normall? if not i'm gooing to get another rooster...
    thank you

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    If the neighbor is going tob be a problem, I wouldn't get another rooster. BTW you have a double post

3. spoolin

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    yea i know i have triple post...lol. i clicked it accidntly more than once.
    but is it normal for roosters to sing that much?

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Roosters will crow 24/7 for any reason. Mine go off all the time. I would agree to not get another if the neighbor objects, it's not worth having a conflict. Besides, if you live under your Dad's roof you must follow his rules. Sorry..........

And yes, you have two posts for this, 2 minutes apart. You can PM a mod to get one removed.

5. spoolin

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    is there a certain kind of rooster that wont sing as much? how bout bantams?...i really like roosters especially for breeding....

6. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Bantams? [​IMG] My Bantams are every bit as bad as the Standards! I know you want a rooster, but it sounds like you should just wait a bit- until you don't have neighbors who will object.

7. spoolin

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    so bantams are noisy too?...i thought they were quieter

8. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    spooiln, I looked around- you posted a variation of this same question this morning and had lots of answers, which boiled down to no, you can't make a rooster stop crowing.

Just a gentle suggestion- sometimes the answers aren't what you're hoping for. Don't give up hope, instead think of ways you can appease the neighbor, or accept that you shouldn't have a roo right now.

From reading your posts, I wonder if you have enough hens for a roo? The recommended ratio is about 10 hens for each rooster.

Hope things work out, ranchhand

9. spoolin

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    i have 3 hens 1-orpington
    2-barred rock
    but are bantams any good?

10. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    First, three is not enough hens for a rooster. Ten is a better number, or your hens will suffer from too much mating.

Second, Bantams are very good. I do have a little trouble selling their eggs, because they are so small, to consumers. Selling to breeders is a whole 'nuther ball game.

You didn't answer the question asked about your neighborhood allowing chickens- it it OK? That can make a real difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by