When are air cells visible?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TwistedPines, Mar 17, 2015.

1. TwistedPines

TwistedPines Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2014
    Colorado Springs
    First time hatcher here. Got my eggs all set and running. We're on day 3 now. When I candle them, I can see the yolk but no clear air cell on any of them. Certainly that can't be the case. I assume I should be able to see an air cell at this point right? My humidity is right at about 40-50% right now. My eggs are both brown and some green/blues.

Thanks!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    There should be a small air cell evident when they go into the bator. Size will be dependent on how old they are and what humidity they've been stored at prior to incubation. are you shining the light down through the wide end? If they're too dark, you may not see much. Please read the info in the learning center about Dry Hatching. It will increase your success.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I prefer dry incubation and monitoring air cells for accuracy. When you are candeling are you candeling from the top down? Best way to see the air cell is by candleing from the top down-actually I candle from the top but at an angle so it's not directly down. Usually this lets you see at least the air cell if nothing else unless it is extra dark shelled.

4. TwistedPines

TwistedPines Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2014
    Colorado Springs
    The oldest egg was 6 days old when it went in the bator. I'm putting the thin end down on the candler. Our relative humidity here is in the 10-25% range normally. I have read about the dry hatching, so I think I'll ignore the humidity until day 18.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I only go completely dry if my bator stays above 25%. If it is not at least 25% w/o water, I add just enough to keep it around 30%. If you candle from the top (round big end) you will be able to see your air cells better.

6. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    I think that's your issue, have the light facing the fat end of the egg. If you still cant see the egg cell, point the light from the side of the fat end. Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by