When are air cells visible?

TwistedPines

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 21, 2014
Colorado Springs
First time hatcher here. Got my eggs all set and running. We're on day 3 now. When I candle them, I can see the yolk but no clear air cell on any of them. Certainly that can't be the case. I assume I should be able to see an air cell at this point right? My humidity is right at about 40-50% right now. My eggs are both brown and some green/blues.

Thanks!

There should be a small air cell evident when they go into the bator. Size will be dependent on how old they are and what humidity they've been stored at prior to incubation. are you shining the light down through the wide end? If they're too dark, you may not see much. Please read the info in the learning center about Dry Hatching. It will increase your success.

I prefer dry incubation and monitoring air cells for accuracy. When you are candeling are you candeling from the top down? Best way to see the air cell is by candleing from the top down-actually I candle from the top but at an angle so it's not directly down. Usually this lets you see at least the air cell if nothing else unless it is extra dark shelled.

The oldest egg was 6 days old when it went in the bator. I'm putting the thin end down on the candler. Our relative humidity here is in the 10-25% range normally. I have read about the dry hatching, so I think I'll ignore the humidity until day 18.

The oldest egg was 6 days old when it went in the bator. I'm putting the thin end down on the candler. Our relative humidity here is in the 10-25% range normally. I have read about the dry hatching, so I think I'll ignore the humidity until day 18.
I only go completely dry if my bator stays above 25%. If it is not at least 25% w/o water, I add just enough to keep it around 30%. If you candle from the top (round big end) you will be able to see your air cells better.

Back
Top Bottom