1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when are Orpintons "fully feathered"

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by popcornpuppy, Oct 18, 2009.

1. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I have 3 BBS Orps in the bator that are 3 and 1/2 weeks old. They are all fuzzy with just wing feathers and a few tail feathers. I do realize they are a slow developing breed, but how slow are we talking?
    All the other chicks I have raised to date have gone outside around 3 weeks of age when they were mostly feathered. These Orps are definately slow going and I don't want to put them outside until they are fully feathered. It is snowing here today and the temps are only going to get colder. How old will they be before they have all of their juvinile feathers, and can maintain their own body temp?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    About 8 weeks they should have their full juvenile plumage. The problem in the northern climate is that you really shouldn't put them from a 70 degree house out into a significant temperature decline (i.e. 30-40 degrees). I have this problem here as well. We are lucky if we're getting above 40 degrees during the day. I am putting them out under a heat lamp around 8-10 weeks and just keep the light slightly higher than usual to take the chill off the air in their pen. Do you have a way to provide them a heat source in their coop?

3. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    Yes, I can provide heat in the coop. We have heat lamps for the pupose, but the coop is unoccupied at the moment because we didn't want to rush this batch of chicks out into the cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by