when are pine shavings okay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by webs66, Aug 13, 2008.

1. webs66

webs66 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    We received our babies this morning from the hatchery. I had put pine shaving in the brooder as litter but then someone said not to use them until the chicks were a week old because they would eat it. I put a sheet down on top of it and they are ok with that except that it's getting dirty fast. If they are eating well can I take the sheet up and see how they do. We did put some green beans and grass in for them to peck at. What do you think?

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    As soon as mine are old enough to figure out where their food is (after a few days), then I use pine shavings. I don't give them anything to eat except their feed though for at least the first few weeks.

Good luck and enjoy your new babies!

3. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I removed the paper towels I was using to cover the shavings the afternoon of 3 and mine are doing ok. They were all eating and drinking very well. (I am a newbie)

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Skip the green beans and grass clippings for a few weeks. When they do start treats you'll need to also give them grit to help them digest it.
    From what I've read most people start out using paper towels over the pine shavings for a few days. Mine were on just the pine shavings from day one; never had a problem.

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I start mine out on shavings. I've never had a problem with chicks eating shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by