1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when are pullots able to make it up a ladder into their coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tuli2007, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Tuli2007

Tuli2007 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007
    I'm picking up 4 pullots on Sunday, and my coop is pretty much set. The coop is in the garage, and the ladder into it from the run is pretty steep (it's an old bunk bed ladder installed at an angle against a framed opening into the coop). How old do my pullots have to be to make it up the ladder?

Thanks!

2. allig8r

allig8r Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Wondering myself as we've had to put "the girls" out under the coop and in their run due to excessive heat (and panting) in the upper part of the coop that was closed off as a brooder. They're 3 weeks old and can hop up onto the wheel assembly under the coop (which is easily 12" off the ground) and one of them made it up and down the ladder, but the rest had to be moved manually. [​IMG]

3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    If they are inside and the door is open they will probably jump down, but you may have to put them up and inside the coop a few times before they figure out what the ladder is for.

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    They'll go up when they want to and not a minute sooner. [​IMG] At least that's been my experience.....
    I don't know about a ladder, but with a ramp I put seed on it and let them eat their way up.
    But you say you are getting pullets so since they are new birds I'd lock them in the coop for a week or two so they can learn it's home, it's where they want to sleep. If they are little babies and if the rungs of the ladder are far apart you'll have to teach them at around dark when they are looking for home once you begin letting them out.

5. Tuli2007

Tuli2007 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by