When are Roo's fertile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Coastal Chicks, Jul 8, 2010.

1. The Coastal Chicks

The Coastal Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Savannah
    I just added 3 egg laying hens yesterday and have 2 Roo's that will be rehomed on Monday.
    Will they all be ok if they all free range together or do I run the risk of fertilized eggs?

One Roo was getting a little rough to the hens he was raised with and
    I just did not want to scare off my new ladies and risk injury to the others so I moved
    Both Roo's in a large shed til Monday. Do you think this is ok for them or should I tether them out in the yard during the day?
    Of course they have food, water, treats roost bar ect...

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    If you are going to collect your eggs for eating, it won't matter if Mr Roo adds his bit of DNA to the pot. If you are going to leave them under your hens then you need Mr Roos assistance.

How your girls cope with being 'pestered' is another matter - really only watching them will let you know. They might be happy for the attention, or they might hate it or they might do like most hens, put up with it - it's what they are here for..

If your boys are going away on Monday it won't do them any harm to be in the shed, unless they start fighting. Tethering might be a touchy subject and I would think loose in a shed is better than tied to a post, but then I'm not a chicken.

3. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

You mean that during some period of time they are ranging loose together?
    Yes, you may have fertile eggs. And you could have them for some time.
    Chickens retain the rooster's 'essence' and use it over time as eggs are laid.
    It would be possible to get fertilized eggs for as long as three weeks...but chances are it won't be that long.

4. The Coastal Chicks

The Coastal Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Savannah
    Thanks so much.. So far they are getting along since the hens are not around to "impress"
    I may let them out to graze and roam then put them in the shed at night just for space considerations.
    I just feel bad leaving them up all day. I just put them in the shed last night. I will be sure I am around to watch them
    since I will not be sure how they will be towards the new hens.

I appreciate your input!
    Tausha

5. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    If you have the option to put the roos in the shed, I would opt for that. If they're tethered and something spooks them, they might just break a leg or something. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by