1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When Are The Eggs Safe Again?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ellandeeranch, Nov 27, 2012.

1. ellandeeranch

ellandeeranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    She was sick for 3 weeks. Couldn't stand straight, kept falling sideways. I isolated her immediately, fed her mash instead of pellet, put some ACV in her water, and she's been looking much better every week. Almost normal. The comb is back to red, she squats again and wants a tail tug. Today we got our first egg from her since she got sick.

When are the eggs OK? I don't plan on putting her back in the coop again until she seems completely normal for at least two weeks. Is that also a good idea?

Richard in Neenach, California

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I think you can eat them as long as you did not worm her or use antibiotics.

3. ellandeeranch

ellandeeranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    None of that. Just isolated her, limited all treats, went to turkey grower (21% protein), put the isolation cage on the grass often. Just sort of babied her.

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Then they should be fine to eat, hopefully someone more edumacated than me will chime in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by