When are they barn ready?

Littlesplashers

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 1, 2012
My Swedish ducklings hatched mid September. They have some fluff sticking out here and there but have feathered out. They have been out in the duck barn during the days and in the house at night since their feathers really started coming in. I don't think i am doing them any favors bringing them in at night. Its most likely upsetting the "winter is coming" balance. It's cold and rainy here today and I'm second guessing them being out. Can someone please tell me if i should be bring them back in...I have had ducks for almost 20yrs why am I second guessing myself with this group?
idunno.gif

My Swedish ducklings hatched mid September. They have some fluff sticking out here and there but have feathered out. They have been out in the duck barn during the days and in the house at night since their feathers really started coming in. I don't think i am doing them any favors bringing them in at night. Its most likely upsetting the "winter is coming" balance. It's cold and rainy here today and I'm second guessing them being out. Can someone please tell me if i should be bring them back in...I have had ducks for almost 20yrs why am I second guessing myself with this group?
idunno.gif
Are they directly in the cold and rain? if not and they are inside the barn out of the wind and weather they are probably fine, again watch them are they running around acting like ducklings are all huddled on top of each other trying to keep warm then you need to bring them inside. but around 4-5 weeks if mostly feathered and out of extremes they are probably fine.

pull down or ducklings :p

The barn has a bench seat built along one wall with a hinged panel at one end that folds down. It comes off in the late spring and goes back in the fall. I can open to clean (easier on the back) and get broody females out if i need to. Broody females- a big part of why it comes off in the spring :) I don't have pics but can take some this weekend if your interested. If that was for pics of the ducklings....wow, did i give way too much info on the wrong thing. lol

pull down or ducklings :p

The barn has a bench seat built along one wall with a hinged panel at one end that folds down. It comes off in the late spring and goes back in the fall. I can open to clean (easier on the back) and get broody females out if i need to. Broody females- a big part of why it comes off in the spring :) I don't have pics but can take some this weekend if your interested. If that was for pics of the ducklings....wow, did i give way too much info on the wrong thing. lol
That seat sounds very interesting and I think a lot of duck/chicken folks might be interested in seeing it myself included, and I know we'd all love to see the ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom