1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When are they full grown?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fancy Feather Poultry, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    I have 3 silkie chicks (5 and 1/2 weeks) There are still pretty small, and was just wondering howold are they till there fill grown?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    well, i think 4-5 months, because thats when the lay and crow..
    -alex

3. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    but when do their bodies stop growing, that is what I want to know. I know that they are grown/matured at 4-5 mo. but when do their bodies stop growing, when are they as big as they will get?

Marie

4. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    I think it depends on the breed. I have 2 Jersey Giants and I read that they will not be full size till they are 7 mon. Mabey if you looked up the breed your questioning. Here's a link that says some about when brreds mature...but It does not give exact time. Just slow or moderate or fast.

Sorry forgot the link. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  5. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Sorry, I did not put the breed because I was also referring to silkies. I only have two chicks that are not silkies and they are Salmon Faverolles. Thanks. I will look at the link.

Marie

6. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    what heck marie, you taking over my post?

7. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Sorry, I did not mean to. Sorry!!!!

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by