When are they fully grown?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PetesMom, Apr 4, 2012.

1. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    We just got 6 new babies at TSC today. They are Rouens. My question is when are they full grown? Some things I'm reading are 4-6 weeks, 5-8 weeks.....and even 1 1/2 years.

Pekins too, I know they mature rather rapidly but when are they actually full grown?

How much do the Rouens weigh when they are full grown? I read 5-6lbs then I saw 11-12lbs ??? lol

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    In size mine are usually done by 8 weeks. For sexually mature usually 6 months for my birds

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Goodness, that's a range of information, isn't it?

I can tell you that my Runners were close to full size at about three months. Storey's Guide if I recall correctly, writes that they are grown up by about seven months.

I noticed behavioral changes over the next year and a half, also. It was almost 18 months before anyone really seemed to throw their weight around. It was quite mild, by the way. Oh, and they slowly put on a little more weight, from about 3.5 pounds to a little over four pounds, for example. They seem more mellow this spring, being in the Day Pen without me than they were the previous two springs.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    8-10 weeks, they are big enough to butcher, but they are still maturing and filling out for nearly a year.

5. MamaDuck1

MamaDuck1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2012
    California
    Woo wee! That is a wide range. Probablt depends on what you are raising for... And what fillers, lighting,etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by