1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when are they ready to lay eggs?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TheChickMan101, Feb 9, 2016.

1. TheChickMan101

TheChickMan101 New Egg

Feb 9, 2016
    Hi everyone im new to this web site im exite to share pics of my chickens ok so they were born around june and im I'm very anxious When they will lay there first egg. So there all hens and they love to take dirt bath In the sunny they are Golden Laced wyndotte,Ameraucana,and a Dominique [​IMG] I Any help I will appreciate thank you!!!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Most breeds including those you have begin laying from 20-27 weeks, sometimes a little earlier and on occasion a little later. I would expect your pullets to begin laying before long. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

The shorter daylight hours of winter can slow them down some but once you see their combs and wattles getting red and they squat for you, you'll know they are almost ready to lay.

Shouldn't be much longer now!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Agreed! You can always have a quiet word with them - just mention things like crockpot, dinner etc. I had one such conversation and she laid her first egg that very day - and don't tell me thats pure coincidence! [​IMG]

All the best
    CT

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Nothing like a little "persuasion"! [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You have very pretty hens. I think when they realize spring is just around the corner ( can't tell here it's 14 degrees F right now) they will start laying.

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by