when are your ladys start to lay

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jlehr25, Jan 27, 2015.

1. jlehr25

jlehr25 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2014
    ok so my quail are all about 6 weeks old now and I haven't seen a egg yet. when are these bad boys suppose to start laying? I have read everywhere from 4 weeks all the way up to 16 weeks. when do your ladys start laying?

2. HunterH

HunterH Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2015
    Do you have them under artifical light? They need it this time of year to lay.

3. jlehr25

Dec 8, 2014
    Yes I do is there a specific ratio of hours on to off?

4. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    16 hours of daylight, I had some hens lay at 6 weeks to the day, others not until about 10.

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you leave the light on 24 hours a day often the stress of it will keep them from laying. Make sure to put the light on a timer.

6. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    uhhhh, you mean, "bad girls", right?[​IMG] It's all about "patience". Waiting for them to lay is like waiting for the paint on the floor to dry. Not all hens get the "memo", and they'll lay when they are ready.
    James

7. jlehr25

Dec 8, 2014
    hey just wanted to give you all an update they have started to lay!

8. ChickonInc

ChickonInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I leave a timer on my heat lamps for dusk. They lay ;3 My 4 month old cockeral just started crowing. The timer wasn't set today so it scared me when my rooster crowed at 4 AM. My pullets will will lay in 3 months

9. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Heat lamps are dangerous, if you are lighting up layers you should only be using a full spectrum non heat producing bulb. If there is heat in the cage they won't grow sufficient down to protect them from your weather, then when the power goes out or the heat kicks off they freeze to death. They don't need any kind of heat unless you live in the arctic circle or the north pole.

10. ChickonInc

ChickonInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Ah, okay. I just don't want their combs getting frostbite. The lamps are 15ft away. I have lamps that dont produce heat in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by