When Baby Chicks Attack!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shogun99, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    I have 23 Black Star Chickens, one golden chick, and then another that my kid sis picked out at the feed store that looks like he's balding due to being henpecked at the store.

Here's my issue. The one baby golden one has recently been targeted by the vast majority of the black ones and his face is being pecked up and there are signs of blood. I know that chickens naturally peck each other, but is there something that I can do to minimize the chicken racial tension here?

I'd also like to know if there's something that I can do for my little goldie whom I've nicknamed Father Flannagan.

Help???

2. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    Do you have a white bulb on them? You might try using a red bulb on them instead?

3. ausamerican33

ausamerican33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Wendell, NC
    I'm only a newbie here. One of my chicks was getting pecked on the neck. I was told to separate her, esp. during the day. However, do it with a wire cage so she can still see the other chicks and be part of the flock. I also put neosporin on her neck, which really helped. Today, someone very experienced told me to put vicks vapor rub on her, b/c the other chicks can't stand the smell, and they won't peck. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to!

4. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Thanks for the info Tracie! I will try that after I get back from the store tonight! Anyone else have any other suggestions!

5. Hen Daddy

Hen Daddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    full strength vicks vapor rub might be too strong...for the birds skin, not the smell. I would try Vicks fo babies...still smelly, less irritating!

6. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Full strength Vicks works just fine, I had to do that with one chick that they kept pecking the tailfeathers out of. Turns out it was a rooster - mean girls in the brooder! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by