When breeding ....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stone_family3, Feb 22, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have a silkie roo and he is NOT the dominant guy in the coop. I've never seen him mount a bird and they all pick on him. I see my Cochin bantam mount the girls.

I put him and two of my small girls in a cage together. How long do you think it will take for him to feel confident to do his rooly duties?

He's five months old and is very gentle with the girls.

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I don't think there is a definate answer for you. But, 5 months is still pretty young. I bet you'll notice breeding soon though. Good luck!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well, 5 months is quite young and his hormone levels have been diminished since he has been subordinated by the dominant rooster. Once you hear him crowing and see him mating the hens, your eggs will most likely be fertile.

4. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Okay, the cochin is the same age as the silkie. I was just wondering if I separated the silkie if it would kick in that he's supposed to be doing the deed.

5. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Yeah, I would probably seperate them.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey

Yes, but not until his testosterone levels come back to normal. A dominant rooster in enclosed quarters can severely diminish the hormone levels in the subordinates - sort of like reversible caponization.

7. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Hmmmm, maybe I'll keep my cochin until after the easter hatch then give my silkie the rule of the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by