When brown eggs turn green

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kanga77510, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    We've been getting brown eggs since we got the girls in October. We started with two red sex-link and one black. We currently have 4 red sexers and 1 black. Today we got a brown egg early in the afternoon and a green one later. Probably the black sex link chiming in huh?

2. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    How do you know the black one is a sex link? It must be an easter egger huh?

3. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Quote:I have no idea what she is. How do I ID a easter egger?

4. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    From what I've read Easter Eggers are just mutts that can lay different colored eggs, usually green. They come in a lot of different colors.

5. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

These are 3 of my EE's...but they can be about any color, yep, black too. Besides the Ameracauna or Aurcana chicken, I think EE's are the only other ones that will give you a green/blue egg.

6. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY

I'm no expert but I have noticed that my Easter Eggers (EE's) have very small combs and wattles, large looking heads, and gray/green legs. Also extra feathers around the face forming beards and/or muffs are likely. Hope this helps!

7. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas

You can also post a pic of her and see if someone can ID her and your others just to make sure it is the black one. [​IMG] It would be interesting to see which one it might be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by