When building a deck/porch...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Nails

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Screws

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Today we started taking our old deck apart. And right now we are cutting boards for the top of the deck. I was wondering if we should use nails or screws to keep the top boards in place? The person that built our deck before used nails but they are a pain in the neck to get out. What would you recommend?
    Thank you in advance. [​IMG]

2. MamaRoo

MamaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    Screws. Much easier to disassemble, make repairs, fix the board you just put in crooked, etc.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Screws it is!
    Thank you!
    [​IMG]

4. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:And they won't pop up/out with wood expansion and contraction.

5. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Deck screws. They go in real easy. Zip, zip, zip!

6. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Not just any screw. Use a designated deck screw. Preferably, the painted ones....Use the ones with a Torx head or a square head. If you must use ones with Phillips head, be sure that they will recieve a #3 tip.

Stainless are far more expensive than the painted ones, and are no better. DO NOT USE THE BLACK DRYWALL TYPE, EVEN WITH A COURSE THREAD.....THEY WILL RUST AND BREAK LOOSE.

Since you are replacing the boards, be sure that the new screws are long enough to get past any old nail holes. Probably 2 1/2 or 3 inches.

Try to leave the screw head flush of just slightly depressed into the board. It looks better and if you need to remove a board, you can find the screw.

If you can't get a board pulled down easily, use an extra screw, rather than trying to sock a single screw farther down.

As for the carpentry, place the boards with the cup down.

Start with the straightest boards and set them to a chalk line.

Using a spacer on each end, allows you to take a bow out of the board, which you are installing or mark off your joists on centers and stick with it.

Unless you are using a composite decking, which usually has their own special deck screws, use a drill and predrill the ends. Otherwise, quite a few of the boards will split, which defeats the use of screws.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  7. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    I forgot the title, and thought something was happening to the BYC boards...[​IMG]

8. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I use Deckmates for almost everything, saves a lot of wear on this gals arms trying to pound in nails

9. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Squareheads for sure. They are hard to strip for somebody as untalented than me and always worked [​IMG]

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Screws will hold better but they cost about 10 time what nails do. If your talking about a small deck that can be done with about 2 pounds of nails then spending an extra $18 on screws may be worth it. If your talking about a deck that will take 50 pounds of nails then an extra $450 for screws may not be worth it.

Nails will hold fine so price the two for the whole job then choose.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by