1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When building the pen...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sherry, May 1, 2007.

1. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    When you bury the wire, do you bend it at the bottom or put it in the trench straight up and down?

2. MarkR

MarkR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    I put my in straight up and down. It goes deeper that way, and is harder to dig under. I have seen evidence that it works. I found one hole started that ended at the wire (goes down about 10 inches. I have heard of people doing it sideways and that seems to work as well. I'm guessing either is fine.

Mark

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well, Mine is bent out about 12 inches Then there is a layer of Ag lime on top of that. Works for me, but I think either way would be good.

4. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Thank you very much.
    I'll probably have to try the electric wire too as we have coons, possums and coyotes. Not to mention my own two dogs.[​IMG]
    I want chicken wire on the bottom for burying and the top, then use stronger wire for the perimeter. It will be attached to a wooden frame.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by