When bullying goes bad...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken gurl, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Chicken gurl

Chicken gurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2016
    Arizona
    So my friend has a coop and he has about a dozen pullets in there, recently one became the victim of the "alpha" chicken. It was a mess, so he called me knowing that I take care of chickens like they are a precious resource.
    Here is some pictures before we fixed up the chicken (dubbed Shark bait): (bruises haven't formed yet)

[​IMG][​IMG]

With some intensive care Shark bait recovered and feathers have stared coming back in. Chickens are some hardy creatures!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Chickens do heal up from some pretty serious wounds quite well on their own. Unfortunately that type of pecking is common with crowding or confinement.

3. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    I have a hen that gets picked on sometimes but I haven't seen any recent bullying. She lost some wing feathers a few months ago and she looks pretty rough. I've been feeding my whole flock feather fixer for a while and been keeping the hen that lost her feathers in the garage at night so she can regrow her feathers. Months have gone by and she doesn't look any better at all. Will her feathers grow back? I thought she would regrow them this fall during a molt but of course she's the only hen that didn't molt.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some of mine are slow molting this year for some odd reason and are taking forever to finish, perhaps you are experiencing the same thing. I haven't seen it before and have no clue why they are doing it.

5. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Ok thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by