When bumblefoot isn't bumblefoot

cindyklr

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 13, 2014
So, I had my second, and more serious, case of bumblefoot in one of my Orpies. One foot had a big scab on the pad, but mostly unattached to the skin, so it was fairly easy to pull off after soaking. The other foot had a dark scab between her toes which was hard to get to, and a protruding lump on the top of her foot. I got my courage up, assembled my surgical instruments, and with hubby holding the bird, started digging. I discovered that the scab seemed more like dirt, and as I cleaned that out, I could see the plug. I pushed on the plug from the top of the foot, and out it came from the bottom. It was dark and more of the consistency of a hard dirt clod or hard manure. The skin wasn't even broken. What a relief! Is this what is referred to as manure foot?

Last edited:
hmm.png
I don't know but it sounds like you got something out that wasn't supposed to be in there...gross.

Put her up for a while so she doesn't get an infection from exposure. Vet wrap and Neosporin is good. Glad you had the stones to operate, it's kind of creepy the first few times but their tolerance for pain is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom