When Butchering - will my hens know what's going on?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DenverBird, Apr 26, 2011.

1. DenverBird

DenverBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    West Denver Burbs
    I've heard that some animals get freaked out when aware that their kind are being butchered. Will it be a problem if the laying hens can see what's happening to their meatie brethren on butchering day? I'm planning to put the laying tractor on the other side of the yard just in case, just wondering what others' experience is.

Thanks,

-DB

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Not really. If you let them, they'll start picking feathers up and eat them.

3. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    Yes, that's true. A horse will freak out but a chicken will be just fine and as Dogfish said they will eat them if they could.

4. DenverBird

Dec 8, 2010
    West Denver Burbs
    Thanks guys - I had a feeling that was the case.

5. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    My meat birds couldn't care less. But last Fall when I butchered some of my geese the rest totally freaked out. They were friendly before that, but after butcher day they wouldn't let me close anymore, even to this day.

6. DenverBird

Dec 8, 2010
    West Denver Burbs
    Thanks - maybe I'll put a tarp over the hens so they don't see what's up.

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It's never bothered my layers or the meaties that are waiting their turn nearby.

8. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    The chickens and guineas MUST be locked up or they are up on everything to get the tidbits. The ducks and geese are mad that day, so they avoid us. But, chickies do not care if it was their bestie ever, it is now treats. Roos will do the treat song.

9. Mamaperreca

Mamaperreca Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    Missouri
    Well I will be a voice of disagreement I guess. [​IMG] My husband butchered some chickens, dual purpose/barred rocks/RIR, in front of the rest of the flock and they freaked out. After that when he went down toward the coop they would start flapping and making warning noises. So they definitely noticed. No way would I do it in front of my laying hens.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Our birds free range and we set up our butcher station right outside the coop door last weekend. We scooped up the meatie, stuck it's head into the cone, carried it to the bench, off with it's head, drain out into the garbage can, then hung it from the tree by it's feet to skin and gut. No fuss from the bird, that's why I like the killing cone. Of course, the after the first few birds, we're having to kick the darn hens out from under our feet, looking for eats. Cannibal eggs, YUM [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by