When can baby chicks eat meal worms and treat block?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DreamsInPink, Mar 12, 2016.

1. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks will be 2 weeks old Monday. I have a bag of meal worms and a Baby Cake I got at TSC when I bought the babies. I also bought a bag of Chick Grit.

When can I start giving them a little bit? How much grit do they need and how often?? Do they know how much grit they need? Am I risking impacting their crop if I introduce anything besides their crumbles this early?

Thank you!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Once they have grit in the crops they should be fine - you can give them the grit from day one. You can also toss a sod of grass (soil n all) into the brooder - this will also help with giving them the grit they need. Grit you can add to feed, scatter on the brooder or put in a separate feeder - or all of these.

Any treats should constitute no more than 10% of their total feed on any given day. Personally, i don't give them any treats since their food has all the nutrients they require for healthy growth.

CT

3. DreamsInPink

Do I leave grit out all the time? They know how much they need?

I'm not really wanting to give them treats to feed them per se, but to get them to love me. [​IMG] [​IMG]

LOL

4. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Yeah, just leave grit out all the time. There's no problem with feeding treats at all - its just important that they have sufficient grit in their crop to digest them.

5. DreamsInPink

Ok, thank you! That helps a lot!! :)

6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    You are most welcome

CT

7. PStenger

PStenger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    This was a perfect post for me. We also have two week old chicks. Thx for the question and the answer!

8. DreamsInPink

I'm glad my question could help someone else. :) I've given my kids mealworms and some of the treat block.. I also got a clump of dirt with grass/weeds out of the yard and tossed it in the brooder. They loved it.

Good luck! And welcome to the site!!!

:welcome

1 person likes this.
  9. Grobotsepop

Grobotsepop New Egg

Sep 12, 2016
    Hi I know this is out of context but can u please tell me where you bought the meal-worms because I can't find a place in Kenya Online so can you please help me out I would appreciate it*

10. UKApril

UKApril Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2014
    Aylesbury, Bucks, UK
    I give my chicks live mealworms from about a week old and they quickly become their favourite treat. I make them come onto my lap to get them, and stroke and handle them while they are eating. Mind you that backfired with my previous batch of chicks because they grew very quickly into big birds and it's not so much fun when 6 strapping birds jump all over you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by