When Can Baby Chicks Go Into The General Population????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lil_Miss_Farmer_Chick, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Lil_Miss_Farmer_Chick

Lil_Miss_Farmer_Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Kalkaska, Michigan
    Hi,
    I had two silkies that shared the job of brooding 8 eggs. Out of the 8 eggs, 6 chicks hatched. We are on day 20 and they are all healthy and happy. [​IMG]

So my questions is, when can they leave their playpen area and join the rest of their coop mates. I've added a pic of our set up.

We put up a baby gate to surround the area that the girls were sitting on eggs. During the whole process and after, the rest of the flock has been able to come and go over the gate. The girls are very good at defending their chicks against any of the other birds who they feel might be a threat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have 34 eggs in the bator that are due to hatch on March 7th, so I would like to use the space for them. I have a silkie that has been broody forever and I would like to use her as a surrogate mom when the chicks hatch.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If the flock has been on both sides of the gate all along, it seems to me they are already integrated.

I avoid this by letting the babies join the flock when they want to, around 3-4 days old. Otherwise, it is best to wait til the young chicks are the same size as the others.

3. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Quote:I thought that we should wait too, until they were full sized...reason asking is that I know of someone who is selling layers now for $1 a hen...a local guy..
    NO not my BIL LOLOL...

I'd like to get a couple layers now after the pen is built...but didnt wanna have to worry about integrating the chicks the right way..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by