When can baby chicks go outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by samuel, Apr 14, 2012.

1. samuel

samuel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    We have four baby chicks, their about five and a half weeks old. We live in denver colorado and its been raining but its been warm.
    It is april 14 2012

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    They would live to be outside at this age, just make sure they don't get to chilled. :thumbsup

3. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    :welcome Chicks should be fine outside from around four weeks old, especially if it's been warm. Keep them dry for the time being in case they do get cold (as long as your coop is closed with a good roof, it should be fine). When they're older, you might find that they'll love being out, getting soaked in the rain. :lol:

4. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    I brought mine outside yesterday for their first night out, and it was warm all day and then rained all night. They were fine! They will be five weeks old tomorrow.

I made my husband put on his raincoat and check on them three times last night, haha.

5. samuel

samuel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    thanks

6. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    They'll be fine. I just put my 5 week old chicks outside in the coop today. Good luck with yours.

7. New chicken family

New chicken family Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2007
    Madison WI
    What about in Wisconsin?

8. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    They can go outside for the first time when they get all their head feathers.

1 person likes this.
  9. FLITZ

FLITZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    I have 5 week olds its been in the 40s and 50s at nighttime would they be okay outside in a coop that has a nice roof but with lots of gaps in the walls and not fully closed in door

10. jackie1624

jackie1624 New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    I have 6 baby chicks that are 4 1/2 weeks old. I'm not sure when they can go outside. I live in Kansas and its Winter. Temps are in the 30's and 40's. I don't know if I should put a heat lamp in their coop or not. They have been in our garage with a heat lamp (two of them when they first arrived) I have been raising the heat lamp to help them get use to the cold. They seem to be fine with it. They are very active and are not huddled together as if they were cold. Oh, they are Easter Eggers. Most of their down feathers are gone and they have their "Big girl" feathers now. I have never raised baby chicks so this is all new to me :)
    [​IMG]
    This is a photo of our coop.... The inside area will protect them from the cold winds. The windows now have doors on them that we can close.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by