WHEN CAN CHICKEN POOP GO INTO THE GARDEN IF USING SAND IN COOP AND RUN?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by thequeenamom, Mar 8, 2015.

1. thequeenamom

thequeenamom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    Question from a newbie - I am trying to find out how long I have to let the poop sit before adding it to my vegi garden (which has nothing in it at the moment). We have 7 girls and use sand in the coop and run, and I have read that will make it neutralize faster- but how much faster? We live just outside of Houston, TX- so it usually is hot and humid.
    Trying to get a jump on Spring, but Mother Nature isn't helping!!! Thanks in advance.

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Are you talking a considerable amount of sand in with the poop or just a little? I would not be adding more sand on purpose to a garden. If it's a really light application of poop I'd just go ahead and do it now. Water it down, turn it and then start planting next weekend. Anymore than that, pile it up by the garden, go ahead and get everything planted than in 6 weeks when you have decent sized plants, you can topdress lightly if it's cooked down. You probably don't have much of any downtime in the winter but I like to just dump it all on the garden as I put it to bed in the late fall and by spring i'ts ready and I didn't have to do anything.

3. thequeenamom

thequeenamom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    I sift it VERY WELL. Honestly, it is just little dry pellets that get sifted out- not much sand at all. I keep about 3" of sand in the run.
    I thought I read that it should be ok if it sits about a week- but just didn't want to burn my plants (if I ever am able to get them planted).

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    That's why I would water it down good, stir it up and then it should be fine. You are probably putting less than 5# dry weight on 100 sq feet. It will help get that first pop but not enough to fry the tender plants. It's not a bad idea to throw a little fertilizer down no matter what you are planting.

The sand comment is more about you probably have too much sand already in the garden soil and spend time and energy building up the humus so you don't want to undo any of that by purposely adding sand.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by