When Can Chicks and Broody-Hen be put back with the flock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FreeRunRevolution, Sep 21, 2010.

1. FreeRunRevolution

FreeRunRevolution Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    I am new to chickens, just got my flock this spring.
    We had 8 beautiful chicks hatch 3 weeks ago, we moved them to a small brooder hutch with their mom to keep the other hens from bothering them. Our first hatch only resulted in one chick which then hens fought over and killed [​IMG]
    Its getting chilly at night and although I know mama keeps them warm and there is a 100watt bulb in the cage to suppliment, its not as nice as the henhouse, which is insulated and properly heated....along with having a posh run, complete with dustbath!
    I was wondering when it would be safe to return the chicks and broody-hen to the main run/coop with the rest of the flock?
    I dont want to risk their safety to do it too soon, but know they are missing out on alot of fun stuck in the brooder.
    Thanks for any advice [​IMG]

2. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I have not had your experience with the hens getting fiesty over the chick. My Cochin hatches them in the hen house and since the hen house is not really set up for chicks I move her w/brood to a dog crate set inside a 6 x 6 ft dog kennel and lock them in for a few weeks until the chick is bigger and then I just leave the door open. The hen w/chick hang with the flock and somewhere along the way usually at about 2 mos she moves back into the hen house with the chick. It's old enough to roost with her and the other hens. They all leave it alone and get along. Today she hatched another chick and I am monitoring them and will be moving her in a few days. My nest boxes are mounted on the wall and the chick would not be able to get in /out easily at this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by