When can chicks get treats? What kind of treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Barry Natchitoches, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    I want to train my chicks to come to me when I want them to, and to do that, I need to feed them treats when they do what I want them to.

At what age can chicks begin to eat treats?

What kind of treats can a young chick eat?

Do I need to feed them grit before I begin to give them treats?

What kind of grit is best for a baby chick?

2. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I gave mine small earthworms. They went absolutely crazy for them, once they figured out that they were something good to eat. [​IMG]

3. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    ah, i use small bugs and mealworms for treats, maybe crickets if they wanna play [​IMG]

i started giving them treats at about 1 wk. but im sure you can do that earlier...

because if they were in the wild their mom would feed them bugs anyway [​IMG]

4. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    I didn't start giving treats until four weeks, but lots of people start sooner. Before that I just put some of their chick feed into my hands and held it down for them. They went crazy for it like it was something great. I don't know why it was better than what they had in the feeder, but it got them used to being hand fed. Now they run right up to my hands when I reach into the brooder.

They're 4.5 weeks now, and they got their first biscuit tonight. They were like little vultures, and they mutilated it in just a few minutes.

5. SandRun

SandRun Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    Cincinnati
  6. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    I love it when mine eat lawn grubs and squirmy things with millions of little legs. Ick! Yesterday, an older bird ate a cicada larvae! Double ick!

Suzy

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by