1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can chicks go out in coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dawn1058, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Dawn1058

Dawn1058 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    Confluence, PA
    I have 29 2 week old chicks in the brooders and have 25 more coming Monday. If put heat lamps in the coop can the ones that will be 3 weeks old go out Monday? I live in SE PA there is a foot of snow and daytime temps have been in the thirtys and nighttime temps have been in low twentys. Do you think it is too much of a risk to put them out yet?

2. 2jsbabyfarm

2jsbabyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Im not a veteran chicken keeper as some on here are, but in my experience at that age they dont have much for feathers so if you have them out there youll have to keep the temperature up in the coop. Also do you have older birds in the coop already?

3. Dawn1058

Feb 4, 2014
    Confluence, PA
    Well I had 18 chickens and 1 rooster a couple weeks ago but I forgot to close the door one day and came home to one chicken! I think coyotes came in and got them because there were no feathers laying around like when my dog got one this summer. So I only have one chicken left but I can move it somewhere else. Eight of the chicks I got are broilers and they are getting huge, the others are egg layers and was worried I'm gonna run out of room when the new chicks come next week. I have been turning the lights off of the chicks during the day in the basement so they would get used to cooler temps.

4. Dawn1058

Feb 4, 2014
    Confluence, PA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Dawn1058

Feb 4, 2014
    Confluence, PA
    [​IMG]
    This is my chicken coop and PA's wonderful weather!

6. pheasant1

pheasant1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Massachusetts
    You probably need that it to be around at least 75 degrees at the height of the chicks and some way to keep them piling up in a cold corner.
    Do a test run, put a few out, check the temperature several times at night, chicks will show if their too cold.
    Also fox are very good at leaving no sign when they visit a coop.

7. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    At 3 weeks you have to keep them at about 75-80 degrees, right? If you can put the brooder in the coop and it stays at that temp, then it should be okay. If not, they need to stay inside. I'd do a temperature test without the chicks first to see if you can keep the temp up with your cold weather. Last year I put my brooder in the coop after the chicks were about 4 weeks old but it was later in the year, about mid-April, and the temp was much warmer. I had a heat lamp for nights and they did fine.

Just make sure you find a way to really double-secure that heat lamp and keep it away from shavings, straw, dust, etc. I've read more than one post about coops burning down and people losing entire flocks. That would be horrific.

8. Dawn1058

Feb 4, 2014
    Confluence, PA
    Thanks everyone just worrying about them getting overcrowded in the house and making more room for the new ones coming plus it gets a little hard when you have 2 bird dogs in the house as well lol! Coop is not insulated at all maybe I'll just try to make more room inside. What's a few more brooders gonna hurt!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by