When can chicks go out into the coop

Farm life101

Songster
Jan 9, 2018
Florida
i have 5 chicks that were born on February 6th and 8th 2018 and i would like to know when they can go into the coop. right now i have a very large chicken coop separated into two. each side can hold 30 chickens comfortable but we only have 6 Buff Orpingtons on one side and 4 silkies with 3 barred rocks on the other side. each side had a rooster and we let them free range on half an acre together during day. My buff orpington girls get along greatly with the chicks meaning that they jump onto a fenced in area and hop inside with the chicks during the day. i have one ameraucana chick one wyandotte, two brown leghorns, and a cross of a silkie and a barred rock.

I live in Maine. My chicks are brooded in the grow out coop in April, starting with temps in the 20's. The chicks wean themselves from their MHP by the time they are 4 - 5 weeks old. At that time, low temps are in low 30's with high temps in mid 70's. Your chicks are fine to be in the coop now!!!

I live in Maine. My chicks are brooded in the grow out coop in April, starting with temps in the 20's. The chicks wean themselves from their MHP by the time they are 4 - 5 weeks old. At that time, low temps are in low 30's with high temps in mid 70's. Your chicks are fine to be in the coop now!!!
will they be aloud to free range?

That depends on your predator load, and how willing you are for them to be hawk snacks. I do let my chicks out to free range when they are young, but only if I can be present to herd them to safety if needed. I am more apt to use a tractor to give them free range opportunities. Their grow out coop has a loft area that is 4 x 8, and a lower level deep litter run area that is 8 x 12. They have access to the whole area starting at 3 weeks old. In the first 2 weeks, I do let them down into the run area, but they need a bit of schooling about going back to the loft to cuddle up with their MHP brooder in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom