When can chicks go outside during the day?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by absinor, Jul 21, 2008.

1. absinor

absinor Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    Hi there--

Forgive me if I've missed this info somewhere else on the forum.

It's beautiful warm weather here (low 80's today). I have 5 day old chicks in the brooder inside.

When can I get them outside (in a secure arrangement, of course!) and for how long at first?

Thanks!

2. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    I would wait until they are 2 weeks (90 degrees the first week and reduce by 5 degrees each week). It would be too cold at 80 degrees for 5 day old chicks (surprisingly)

3. absinor

absinor Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    Ok...they seem hot more than cold in the house, but I'll wait. Thanks! I'll pick a spot that has been warmed in the sun too.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I moved my last hatch out at one week. We were having temps in the high 80s/low 90s. They had a light for heat at night if they needed it. I think they feather out faster if you wean them off the heat sooner. Of course it's a whole different story when I'm hatching in colder weather.

5. mamaschnecke

mamaschnecke Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2012
    Alabama
    I have been wondering the same thing. Our babies were a week old yesterday, and we went and bought the stuff to make them an outdoor "play pen" lastnight. My husband just caught a break--one more week to build it. lol

6. EricaD

EricaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    We took our babies out last weekend, when the first batch was about a week and a half old and the second batch was just a few days old (we bought the chicks a week apart). I positioned them in a "play pen" on the grass, partially in the sun but with some shade. Temp was in the high '70's (so probably up to 90 in the direct sunlight).

They had a blast! We kept them outside for 2 hours and they went nuts scratching and eating and just goofing around. When I brought them back in they all zonked out like toddlers and slept for hours, lol.

I've found that my chicks seem to prefer less than the recommended heat level. When I kept a spot at the recommended 90 degrees, they avoided it. Now I've set the heat lamp on a chair next to the brooder (DD's bathtub), farther away and higher up, and they seem to prefer it. They play all over the place and then the younger ones snuggle under the light to sleep, with a few of the bigger chicks sleeping farther away from it.

7. Andee8302

Andee8302 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2012
    Ellsworth, Maine
    What does everybody use as a playpen for 2 week old chicks to go out and play? We have not built the coop yet or run. Pictures would be helpful. Thanks !!!

8. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I literally use a baby play pen that I found at a yard sale. You can see it in the background of this picture.

[​IMG]

9. Andee8302

Andee8302 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2012
    Ellsworth, Maine
    Awesome Idea !!! Cute Chick by the way !!!! Thanks !!!

10. mamaschnecke

mamaschnecke Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2012
    Alabama
    I used a medium sized dog kennel (the black metal kind) with the plastic floor removed. I was able to slide a tree branch through the sides to make a perch. We are making a 5'X5' "play pen" for them out of PVC and chicken wire, but until that is finished the kennel will have to do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by