When can chicks have table scraps?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OnlyOrps, Feb 4, 2015.

1. OnlyOrps

OnlyOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    I just bought ten little orp chicks, they're 1 week and 3 weeks according to the breeder. What age can they have table scraps like lunch meat or lettuce? I don't want to upset their tummies. Right now I have them on medicated chick starter and chick grit with free access to fresh water. Anything else I should give them?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    What you are giving right now is perfect, everything they need. They don't show much interest in treats at their age, maybe chopped up meal worms or scrambled eggs bc of the protein but really, they don't need any extras right now. I personally don't give treats to my birds until they are on layer and adult grit. Others may do things differently. [​IMG]

3. OnlyOrps

OnlyOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Thanks for the advice! I am not in a hurry to give them scraps I just wanted to know if there is an official age that they can have them because some family members want to hand feed them and I said only chick starter is allowed then they wanted to know when they could feed scraps so I thought I'd ask lol. I'm glad to hear they have all they need and I'm not missing anything. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by