when can chicks have treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by absinor, Jul 30, 2008.

1. absinor

absinor Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    I have three 2 week-olds and two 1 week olds.

We've been holding them a lot but they completely hate every minute of it. The little NH Red bit me last night. We're really mellow when handling them but they are obviously scared.

Would like to win them over with some treats.

Are they old enough to eat stuff other than feed?

Thanks!!!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Try some plain yogurt or some chopped hard-boiled egg. Chicks seem to go thru phases where they are more tolerant of handling than at other times. Their little brains are hardwired to look out for predators. We're big and scoop them up; just like a predator would do. Sit down as close to their level as you can get and speak quietly to them. They need to get used to your presence.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Some people feed treats early some people prefer to be cautious and wait. Personally mine were picking at other things by 5days old. I feed them various bits of herbs and edible flowers from my garden. You do have to go carefully. Don't add lots of things at once or feed too much of anything. Start with very small amounts and add 1 item at a time after you've made sure they are handling it ok. Also you need to provide grit if your feeding anything other than chick starter.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I was giving mine treats between 2-3 weeks. They loved yogurt, chopped up boiled egg... they even ate diced tomato.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by