1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can chicks sleep outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenladyk, May 12, 2007.

1. chickenladyk

chickenladyk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2007
    Our chicks, mostly heavies, are 6 weeks old today. Most of the birds are pretty much feathered out, although a couple still have lots of pin feathers. They've been outside during the day now for several weeks (it's in the 60's and 70's F, and sunny or cloudy--we haven't had rain), but are indoors (in a stock tank in our living room!) at night. They have not had supplemental heat (lamp) for several weeks.

They need to be outside now, as you might imagine, and our coop isn't finished. We have them in a net-covered, 6' w x 6' h x 12' L cyclone fence kennel on the lawn during the day. Would they be warm enough, if we enclosed a a quarter of of the kennel in tarps (allowing for ventilation) at night, allowing for roosts in there? Our temps can still get down into the high 30's at night, but are mostly in the 40's now.

I've checked all the books, and although everyone talks about "when it's warm enough", nobody actually talks about temperatures!

We just need something to protect them from cold and predators so they can be outside, and right now, because of a number of goofy things going sideways, we have NOTHING. Aaargh!

2. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    hi they are old enought to put outside i have some 5 weeks i will put in my chicken rance next week:jumpy

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'd put them out there. Keep an eye on them and the weather for the first couple days or so just to make sure they're warm enough. I don't see why they wouldn't be though.

4. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    I'd guess they would be fine. Adding a whole bunch of fluffed-up hay into the part of the henhouse that they will sleep in will help them stay warm if it becomes an issue- it will insulate them very nicely.

-MTchick

5. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Our chicks have been outside for over one week they just turned 1 month today. Their hen house which is separate from the adults have deep pine shavings but here in California the weather was cooperating so they went out early.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  6. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    Mine are seven weeks and recently started sleeping out (last night was their third night). I worry too because our temps can get in the 40's at night still, but they seem to be doing fine. Someone here suggested using bales of hay or their old brooder box to make a comfy little place inside the hen house for them to snuggle together in case they get too cold. I moved the brooder box out there. But so far, they seem to prefer huddling on the floor together, though when I go in in the morning they are usually dozing on their roost.

HTH!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by