When can chicks start eating treats? and what kind of treats?

M&KUrbanFarmers

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
We have a small flock of four, between three and five days old. When can we start giving them treats? And what kinds of treats do people suggest? We are tired of startling them and would like them to look forward to us visiting their brooder!

In order to offer them much variety in treats you will need to get some chick grit into their system so that they can digest anything much more than crumble. In the next week or so you can start giving them very small bits of scrambled egg or soft fruits with no skin like melon or banana in small amounts so you don't upset the nutritional balance provided in the crumble.

I'm new at this, but can tell you that I noticed that there were aphids all over my lupins a few days ago. I cut off one of the most infested stalks and dropped it in with my two week old chicks and they just went crazy pecking all those little bugs right off the stem. I figure that tiny, pesticide free insects should be a great treat for babies. I've given them a stem or leaf to peck every day since and they come running as soon as they see it in my hand.

They also seem to love oatmeal, which I started giving them in small amounts because someone on this forum suggested it for pasty bottoms. I grind it a bit with a pestle and they peck it off my palm.

I'd value comments from you more experienced chicken people as to whether you agree that these are good and safe treats.

when would their momma take them off the nest and out in the grass to eat bugs and grass and weeds and whatever else happened to cross in front of them? I give mine chick grit to scratch around in at about a week old, they get other stuff too. and they get a boiled egg yolk or a scrambled egg the day they are born. the way I see it, they are chickens, they will eat just about anything if we humans didnt try to control everything. give them stuff, if they dont like it they wont eat it.

You're such a good chicken momma to check what's safe for them! Chickens can eat almost anything (refer to the chart that Jodyjo kindly provided for items they can't have).

Treats that chicks seem to like most are boiled eggs, oatmeal, clods of dirt with grass on top, plain yogurt, and most of all mealworms.
You can start feeding them these items from day one, to be honest. They don't need a super restricted diet early on like mammals do.

Just remember to keep it small, smaller, and smallest; and to feed them grit (playsand, or feedstore chick grit). Their little tiny mouths need little tiny peices of food. And they need the grit because they don't have teeth.

Congrats on your babies!

Thanks so much for the advice. We're trying some treats out now. So far they're more scared of the new dish than they are curious about or hungry for its contents.

My chickens are 7 weeks and just started enjoying treats. Don"t worry if they don"t take to it right away.

Scrambled eggs are the all-time favorite around here!
droolin.gif

I usually start by giving mine flies when they are around 4 days old. When I pick up the fly swat they come running! Then we progress to moths and crickets and large bugs when they are bigger. I've read that letting 2 week old chicks run on grass/ your lawn is "highly beneficial", so I've been doing that as well. The babies love it. I also chop up greens for them when they are around 2-3 weeks old to give them a boost.

Back
Top Bottom