When can chicks start taking cooler temps?

ldrchickens

Songster
Jul 1, 2018
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys! My babies I hatched on valentines day were a combo of coturnix quail and chicken chicks. They are now going on 4 weeks old and the quail are completely feathered out and look like adults and the chicks are getting there. I have them in a large brooder I made on an outdoor porch but am running out of room because I under estimated the amount of hatchlings I would get. Here in Oklahoma the temps are ranging from 65'F down to freezing during the day, and at night were in the 50's to freezing. Super flexible I know! I am planning on waiting until we have more stable weather and until they are older but I am just wanting to know when exactly? Are my quail old enough to join their flock atleast or should I wait? TIA

Have you been reducing the temp in the brooder every week?
What temp are they at right now?
What are you using to keep them warm right now? heat lamp, Heat plate, Mama Heating Pad ...
Yes I have been. Im using a heat lamps. Im not for sure what it is currently. Last week when I measured it was around 80*. Ive been measuring temps based off the chicks. When they act cold I lower the lamps when they act warm I raise it. I have two and they are raised atleast 3 feet from the chicks. I will measure for sure tomorrow. They should be kept around 80 at this age right?

Also when they first hatched I had it at 90* and they were staying as far from the heat lamp as possible so that's why I don't really measure temps I just base it off their behavior

At 4 weeks they should be around 70; according to what I have read on this site. "You start at 90 and reduce 5 degrees each week."
I brood out in my barn with a heating pad, so I don't worry too much about temp. I have a heat mat I put under the Mama heating pad that I can turn on when they act cold, but I haven't had to use it in 3 groups of chicks.

At 4 weeks they should be around 70; according to what I have read on this site. "You start at 90 and reduce 5 degrees each week."
I brood out in my barn with a heating pad, so I don't worry too much about temp. I have a heat mat I put under the Mama heating pad that I can turn on when they act cold, but I haven't had to use it in 3 groups of chicks.
Oh ok. Thanks! I will check tomorrow on he exact temp it is in the brooder. My only concern is If I have the heat lamps high enough to maintain a 70 degree temperature during the day Im worried will leave it to cold at night when the outside temps drop to 40s.

I agree that you don't want them too cold at night.
Maybe just use 1 lamp during the day and then turn the second one on at night? That will give them a cooler place in your brooder to hang out.
Letting it cool off some during the day may help them to acclimate to colder temps quicker too.
Thank you for your advise! I will start doing that tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom