When Can Chicks take a outdoor "field trip?"

rachelpotter

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 5, 2013
I have hatchlings that we acquired from Strombergs last Friday. They are doing well. We have temps in the 90's here and I was wondering about an outdoor supervised visit in the yard/grass? We have never had chickens here, so no exposure to anything other than wild avian species.

Thoughts?

TIA!

Rachel

I took my chicks out when they were just about a week old. They LOVED the grass. It was so fun to watch them have a first time experience. Don't forget to bring out some water too
smile.png

I have a little area in my backyard where I put out a little covered pen for young chicks where I can keep an eye on them. Part of it is on grass part on the dirt. It's so cute to watch them make their very first, tiny little dust baths! They just know exactly what to do and they have such a good time dusting and sun bathing. Wears them out and gives them a nice break from being in the brooder all the time. If it's warm do provide a little shade so they don't got too hot.

They had a blast... Only let them out about 10 minutes the first time. Thank you all for advice. My first chicks and I'm a nervous mom!

Back
Top Bottom