When can ducklings go out if the coop?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dylly, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Dylly

Dylly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2014
    Queensland, Australia
    Hi everyone! I have 2 duckling which are now 12 days old. Both Mum and Dad are kept with them and they seem to be a happy family. Except they all seem to want to be out of the coop. Is okay for the little ones to come out or are they too little still? Any advice welcome. Thanks :)

2. WildThang

WildThang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    Hey! We started to take them outside, after a week or so. Supervised, letting them eat grass play in a kiddy pool. I'm sure they would love to get out. Because the grass is always greener on the other side. Though depending on how big they are i would keep them supervised. We are lucky to have a fenced in yard. Around the coop area's. So we can let our guys out to play during the day. The little ones we always watched though until they were fully feathered. And big enough that they could run/fight back if something had swooped down. We also have collie's that will keep fox's, other dogs, racoons at bay during the day. They like they're birdies.

3. enriquec

enriquec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    Keep them supervised at all times.

I've done everything far earlier than advised. I'd recommend doing what's recommended.

I started supervised outside and swimming day two.

4. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I let my mommas take them outside in a fully inclosed run right away and child proofed it. They are about a week old now and are pretty independent at this point. I just keep pool shallow, and made sure they couldn't get into the adults deep water bins. But they go for swims, go in house to take naps if it's cooler out and go inside for bed even if the mommas still hanging out outside. But if you don't have a fully in closed run I would def only let them outside if supervised.

5. Dylly

Dylly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2014
    Queensland, Australia
    Thanks everyone. All of your advice had been taken on board and the duck family got to have 45mins out roaming before being put back in their coop. They loved it. Thank you again.

6. WildThang

WildThang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    Your welcome! :D I bet they had a great time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by