When can ducklings go outside?

Mccluckers

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
uk
I have two ducklings and was wondering when they could too outside? The temps are between 0-10 Celsius and occasionally go under freezing at night.
Your thoughts appreciated

they go outside in the day but they come back in in the day. What do you think lydia?

Forgot to add for anyone else, they are 10 weeks old and going through their juvenile molt.
At 10 weeks they should be fine to stay out over night if the are in a secure building that is draft free especially since they have been out during the day. make sure the building your keeping them in has some ventilation but it should be up top not where any air could blow over them in winter. lots of nice warm bedding they should be fine.

At 10 weeks they should be fine to stay out over night if the are in a secure building that is draft free especially since they have  been out during the day. make sure the building your keeping them in has some ventilation but it should be up top not where any air could blow over them in winter. lots of nice warm bedding they should be fine.

I also thought they would be fine but I have heard people say they can't go out at that age because they are still developing internally? My house has three vents two at the sides and one at the end, I don't know if the two at the sides are to low, when the ducks stand up their heads are in line with the vents. If they are to low I couls easily block them up and leave the end one? Thanks

Also what bedding do y recommend? I put them on woods having at three weeks and they kept eating them and I was worried they may get impacted crop so I put them back on towels and they have been on them ever since.

Also what bedding do y recommend? I put them on woods having at three weeks and they kept eating them and I was worried they may get impacted crop so I put them back on towels and they have been on them ever since.
They should be old enough now to be on pine shavings and know it's not edible.I use the thick pine shavings not the fine. it's actually horse bedding. on a couple of my windows I use their empty feeds sacks to cover the bottom part of the window and left the top open for ventilation. Did you get the house you showed pics of a while back? I'm thinking they would be fine in it, or maybe post a pic again.

They should be old enough now to be on pine shavings and know it's not edible.I use the thick pine shavings not the fine. it's actually horse bedding. on a couple of my windows I use their empty feeds sacks to cover the bottom part of the window and left the top open for ventilation.  Did you get the house you showed pics of a while back? I'm thinking they would be fine in it, or maybe post a pic again. 
yes I diid get that house. Will get pics tommorow as it is dark here.

Hi miss lydia,

:p

As you can see above, the whole house the my dog for size comparison,a milk jug by the side vent and the back vent. Thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom