When can ducklings move out of the house

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SueNH, May 20, 2008.

1. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    I have 3 ducklings that are getting huge fast! They are nearly the size of a leghorn chicken but still down covered. I can just see feathers starting.

Night temps are in the mid 30's. Can I move them to an unheated building with their chicken hatch mates or do I wait yet?

The cage I use to brood them is getting crowded fast. Will they be ok snuggled down with their chicken buddies?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    How old are they?

Ducks don't requie as much heat for as long as chicks but in cold weather young ducks can still chill and get ill.

3. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
    They hatched april 30th.

They were supposed to be cayuga but I'm thinking cayuga/swedish. Too much chest patch going on there and compared to some younger black runners I have in another brooder nowhere black enough.

4. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
    I've got 4 marans pullets and 3 phoenix chicks that can go out with them. The chickens are old enough where their feathers are fully out but I don't know about the duck fuzz.

I've only had baby ducks without a real mom once and it was towards the end of July.

Somebodys little voice is cracking/quacking a bit in the other room.

5. deeszoo

deeszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    It seems like nights would be a little cold. Could you compromise and put them out during the day and in at night? It would cut down on the mess.

6. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    I put mine out in the day and in at night for almost 2 weeks. They learned to follow me in and wait to be picked up and put in the brooder, then I fed them and turned out the light. They were crowded but were just sleeping.

7. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
    I do have one little former outhouse turned coop behind the house that I could get a lamp into for nights. I had it rigged that way once for young turkeys that I hatched late in fall.

Biggest problem in there is a broody chicken and broody turkey have taken over most of the floor.

I could boot the turkey out today. She's failed in her first brooding mission. I already gave her the extra week.

I'll get it figured out I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by