When can gosling move outside

Pebbles

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
Kingman, AZ
I have a friend who has a 4 week old gosling. She lives in a residential neighborhood and has had a goose who died at Chritmas time. The gosling will live outside in the backyard. She takes the gosling outside now to run around an socialize her. She will not be in a cage or have a coop, just a sheltered area like a dog house. My friend wants to know when is it safe to turn the gosling out in the backyard permanently?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Mine are 7 weeks old or so and are outside in the barn and are now free to wander, but there are two of them, they are able to get in the barn for shelter and protection. I don't know that I'd leave any baby animal outside by itself. I think at that age, they still aren't "wise" enough to protect themselves and stay out of most dangers.

I'm a better safe than sorry kind of person. I'd keep the baby up when it couldn't be attended to at night. Probably until it was closer to maturity. Whatever age that would be for her breed of goose.

Mine are around 11 weeks old and they are in a fenced in back yard during the day and I put them in a pen at night, including my adults. The worry, especially with the young ones, are predators. I realize that a predator could enter their pen if they wanted to but I feel better about that then leaving them out in the open.

Back
Top Bottom