When can I add adult chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WillChicken, Mar 1, 2012.

1. WillChicken

WillChicken In the Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Mills River, NC
    Greetings,

Have have about 50 baby chicks that are 5 weeks old and wanted to know when I could add a large hen to the mix from a known source?

The reason for the large hen is to help with a basset hound and medium size cat.

Cheers
    Will

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    When they are about the same size as the hen - which will roughly be 12-13 weeks.

And awwwww, I used to have a bassett hound. Stubborn as heck.

3. davi

davi Chirping

Jun 26, 2012
    I have chickens too - The best thing to do is move in the chicks with the hen when they're as big as the chickens. I have chicks as well, and I only had one coop, so we had to mix big ones with small ones cuase they were getting too big for the brooder. I don't think this is the best choice. The big ones scartched a little chick's beak and it bleeded a bit.[​IMG]

4. mammat

mammat Songster

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    I put 40 8 week old chicks in with my existing 8 one year old hens without any issues. I put the babies out next to the big girls for 3weeks. Separated by a fence and in different coops. Finally the babies kept jumping the fence so I put them all together. I do still get up and let them out at dawn so they are not all locked together too long while it is light out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by