When can I add two bantie chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Godiva, May 16, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I have two bantam cochin chicks, three weeks old. They are in with a group of 23 others, standard cochins, welsummers, and buff orpingtons. They are rather outsized by everyone and I see they are hanging on the edges of the flock so as to avoid being stomped on. I have two hens in the processs of hatching more bantie cochins, silkie and Mille fleur d'Uccles. COuld I add them to one of those groups in a while? Like when the new chicks are three weeks old? Will the broody attack the new additions? Would the silkie broody or cochin broody be better to try with? Thoughts anyone?

2. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    I think you'll have issues with the broody keepingthe strangers far away. around 5 foot anyway. Maybe if they're cooped together the broody will settle down and let them near. Mine did that this eve when the light was left off.

3. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I have two mommas with their brand new chicks right now. Their roo is right next door waiting to rejoin his ladies. Should I just keep them all next to each other and when I put the banties all together again then add the two slightly older ones. At what age will it be safe to have the roo around the chicks? He is a very gentlemanly guy but still a roo... I have never seen him attack anyone actually - not chicken nor person. (bantam cochin roo) Come on all you experienced people. Nothing compares to that valuable experience!! Love this board!! Awesome resource!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by