When Can I eat our eggs ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amadorproducer, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Amadorproducer

Amadorproducer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    I picked up our 2 day old Babies on 9/15. 2 Wyandottes, and a Rhode Island Red. They've been on Organic Chick feed ever since, until a few days ago when I discovered 3 eggs and since then 5 more.
    Yesterday we switched them to Organic Lay Crumbles , and the lady at the store said not to eat the eggs they laid while on the chick feed because there were antibiotics in the chick feed. She went on to say that we should wait a week from the day we changed the feed before consuming the eggs. If anyone is counting, Yes the girls are not yet 5 months old and laying. Quite a surprise.

I sure would appreciate someone weighing in on waiting a week before eating the eggs, as well as anything possible to make the eggs bigger, or any other tips you might deem prudent. Thank you for reading this .
    Michael

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I have never fed medicated chick feed, so have never researched that, and have no idea.

As to egg size, they are pullets, and these are their first eggs, so they will be small.

The size of the eggs will be larger in a month or two, and even larger next year.

Welcome! [​IMG]

3. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have any problems eating pullet eggs without switching feed. Hens tend to lay better on chick feed mixed with scratch and laying feed. Everyone I give my eggs to doesn't get sick from our eggs the pullets on chick starter lay. That cashier may not have experience with chickens. Antibiotics never killed anybody. I'd say the eggs with the antibiotics is healthier.

4. Amadorproducer

Oct 2, 2013
    Thank you for responding William , Good to know.
    Michael

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If it is organic chick feed, I seriously doubt it had any antibiotics in it. You might want to check the label but …..

If it was medicated feed, the medication is almost certainly Amprolium, but I don’t know if Amprolium is approved for organic or not. Amprolium is not an antibiotic. I can’t remember if it is the FDA or USDA, but whichever one has jurisdiction has said there is no withdrawal period from the dosage in medicated feed, medicated with Amprolium.

Pullet eggs are small. The pullets are not fully grown and the smaller eggs are less likely to do damage to their immature internal egg laying factory. The eggs will gradually get bigger as they age. After they go through a molt, you will see a nice jump in size.

A feed higher in protein will get the eggs larger. You can force a molt to get the eggs larger when they start laying again but you can go through a few months without any eggs. Or you can be patient.

Where are my manners, welcome to the forum!

6. Amadorproducer

Oct 2, 2013
    Thank you Ridge Runner for the info and the welcome. Just called the feed store and found out definetively, that there wasn't neither medication or antibiotics. So we're good to go.
    Michael

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by