1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can i expect broodiness?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PeeperKeeper99, Dec 11, 2012.

1. PeeperKeeper99

PeeperKeeper99 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Hi guys! My rooster Little Joe has been, how would you say, "extra loving" towards my hens Blue and Berta. Hopefully their eggs are fertilized. I want to hatch some chickens, but i want a hen to raise them. How often do these breeds go broody? Berta is Red Star, Blue is New Hamp Red, and my other hen Lucky is a RIR/Old English Game Hen. None of them have ever been broody. Thanks!

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    With those breeds it is unlikely they will go broody. It has been bred out of them. If you want broodies, I suggest Silkies or Orpingtons or Cochins. These breeds go broody often.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Never say never, but red stars rarely go broody. Some strains of New Hampshires do go broody, but this trait has been basically 'bred out' of hatchery birds. Your best shot at a broody hen is the game hen X. Broodiness is more common in the spring through the autumn, but can occur at any time. Good luck at getting a broody. I will do a little broody magic for you.

Do a little dance [​IMG] 'n' sing a little song [​IMG] walla [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The Broody Magician has spoken.

Good luck!

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    sourland, your funny. [​IMG]

5. PeeperKeeper99

PeeperKeeper99 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Thank you, i will try with my game hen. The only problem is that she isnt very big and could only set about 5 eggs. That would be enough though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by