When can I expect eggs, and are they really black sex-links??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Layininohio, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Layininohio

Layininohio In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2019
    I bought several chicks from Tractor Supply labeled as black sex-links. The chicks looked right, but the pullets looked like Barred Rocks, black and white striped. Everyone's photos look red and black instead, which I thought would be red sex-linked. So what do I have?
    Given that, when do they usually start laying? They are now 19 weeks old. No eggs yet. I have had Wyandottes before, both bantam and standard, and they had started laying by this time. IMG_20190721_093344844.jpg

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    You've got a lovely bunch of Plymouth Barred Rocks! Gotta love TSC!
    They are pretty red so they are close to POL. Give them another couple of weeks.
    Is anyone squatting yet?

3. Layininohio

Apr 8, 2019
    They have always spent a lot of time inside the coop, so it is difficult to say. They have become very vocal lately, if that means anything!

4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    When you reach down to pet them, do they squat?

MarilynHukill likes this.
  5. Jennymc

Jennymc In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2019
    Valley springs California

My girls were hatched the third week of February. They just started Laying about a week or so ago. i have eggs ranging from the size of a postage stamp to huge! I have two sex-lincs, my girls are orange-ish white. Like a red only with white underfeathers. im not profetional!

6. Layininohio

Apr 8, 2019
    They are not really friendly, they try to get away. So, no.

mowin and DobieLover like this.
  7. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    Those are barred rock pullets. FWIW, black sex link female chicks are solid black and do not have a light spot on their heads. Black sex link male chicks have a white spot on their head and look almost exactly like a barred rock chick.

The earliest I've had BRs lay is 20 weeks, but most have not started until 24-26 weeks.

chrissynemetz and Layininohio like this.
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As already stated TSC has provided you with some very nice barred rock pullets. I would expect them to start laying within the next month or so.

chrissynemetz and Layininohio like this.
  9. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Free Ranging

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I agree, I believe you have barred rock pullets who should start laying any time :)

10. mowin

mowin Songster

Jun 17, 2018
    Upstate NY
    My BR pullets look to be the same age as yours. Mine are 20 weeks. Unlike yours, they are quite friendly.
    My RIR's, BO, and EE, are not so friendly and will stay a few feet from me at all times.

chrissynemetz likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: