When can I expect less eggs because of no artificial lighting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chirpy, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    At this point we are not going to add lights in our chicken house to keep the chickens laying all winter. (We're going back and forth on that issue so we may still do it.)

I am wondering when I can expect to see a reduction in eggs? My understanding is that some/all of them will continue to lay but in less quantity? Is that correct? Can anyone give me an idea as to how much less they lay? Right now our girls are barely keeping us in eggs. We've learned that our family needs more chickens (darn![​IMG]) and we will add more next year (yippee!). I had actually hoped to have extra eggs and sell some to help with feed costs.

Right now (even after daylight savings) we are getting more eggs than we've ever gotten before. I have nine hens and got eight eggs yesterday. I average five to seven every day.

Oh - I'll share this ... just because I'm 'eggcited' - my SS Hamburg (Mrs. Dr. Professor Chirp) finally started laying last week!! She's over seven months old!

2. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I'm really surprised you haven't already seen a reduction! Out of 35 layers, I'm lucky to get 6 a day! Do you have an outdoor light near your pen? At this point I wouldn't worry too much about a light.

For the most part, during the winter months, most stop laying, sometimes all will stop, but it's not unusual to get a few eggs a week still. Peak laying time is the spring months, and then it start slacking off during the summer some.

3. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    My eggs production totally stopped about two weeks ago.

!

4. treeclimber233

treeclimber233 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    my hens laid all last winer without much of a slow down. However this year they completely stopped two weeks ago. And it is not even cold here yet. I purposely bought hens that lay during the cold. I have RIR, Turkens, Buff Orps, and Americanas. I also have various bantams that don't lay during the winter: Cochins, Cornish Rock, Sultans and others. They have have almost stopped but my big egglayers have completely stopped already.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    WOW - I've just started getting eggs, from three little bantam hens, I got my third today.
    The breed I have arent' the best layers, one has laid two eggs, three days apart - nothing now for four days, and one of the others laid her first ever egg today (after MUCH fussing) They're young, I'm not sure HOW young but around 20-24 weeks.
    We don't use light at all, and no heating either at this point (I'm trying to avoid that as well) we have sun rise around 7:30 right now and sunset around 5:30pm

Its pretty chilly already, lowest has been 18 - tonight will be around 30.

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Most pullets will lay all through thier first year without any added light. Additional lighting will extend the hens laying ability when they become adults. Keep it mind that the hens should have a natural rest for their bodies when they have been laying 18 months or more. The burnout production hens experience isn't what is best for my flock. Gotta keep the pets healthy!

bigzio

7. FrozenChicken

FrozenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Artificial lighting is a must if you want your hens to keep laying all winter and also keeping their coop warm enough. Temperture also determines egg production as well. A warm well lit coop will allow your hens to lay year round.

8. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    how warm do you keep the coop?

9. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    My girls go into their coop around 5pm now as it's dark by then. How long should I keep the lights on if I want them to keep producing through the winter?

10. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    zip. the only egghead around here is me right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by